Tuesday, August 17, 2010

ar-keh'-o

Living vicariously through other people's photos on Facebook is a great way to land yourself in discontentment on a lonely evening.  The cute couples pictures.  The fun engagement pictures.  The romantic wedding pictures.  The sweet watch-my-belie-grow pregnancy pictures.  The tender new-born pictures.  The silly we're-a-family pictures.
There's always more, isn't there.  Something new to want.  Shoot - I am part of a couple - and have waited a Very Long Time to be so... but there's this 5,000 mile issue that makes me sad... but that's not the whole truth - it's everything else on that list, too.  Everything else I desire.  And if I had the next one, I'd be eying the one after that.  
How can we be content if we're always reaching for the next?
"My grace is sufficient for you," Jesus said.
Did you know that the words sufficient and contentment are from the same Greek root word?  I don't think that's by chance.  We find our greatest contentment when we understand that Jesus's grace is sufficient for TODAY.  We are not promised a white dress and a bouquet.  We are promised Jesus.  We are not promised maternity-wear.  We are promised Jesus.  We are not promised three kids and a mini-van.  We are promised Jesus.  And even though it might take all our emotional courage to hold on to Him... He will be faithful.  

1 comment:

  1. Agreed...I think it's all too easy to compare and come up lacking and then the feelings of discontent grow like weeds. I am working on rejoicing with those who rejoice. :)

    Thanks for the thoughts, April! I love the way you express ideas through words! Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete