Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Desire vs. Discontent

There is a difference between desire and discontent.

Some Christian women say "I am content in my singleness" when what they mean to say is "I don't really want a husband right now".  That is a version of contentment, sure.  But, can we be content in our singleness and still have the desire for a husband?  Absolutely.

Desire does not have to be a catalyst for discontent.

So, you are out to lunch with your girl-friends and decide that you all want a bite of that decedent chocolate thing... so you order one piece to share among all six of you.  Each gets one bite.  And you want more.  That's called desire.  Are you going to pout that you didn't get your own piece?  Is it going to ruin your time with your dear friends... or turn a good day into a horrible one?  Are you now going to be discontent?  Ummm.... no.

OK - so, don't take this illustration too far (splitting a man 6 ways, etc...)  but the same is true with marriage.  God created us to be in partnership.  The Bible is clear about that.  Yummy!  Yes, please.  But - do we have to be miserable even though we want it?

I can be content in my circumstances and still pray for, hunger for and hope for something.  So, next time someone questions you - it's ok to say:  I'm really content - but sure!  I'd be delighted if God brought a godly man my way.  It's not a juxtaposition of opposites.

No comments:

Post a Comment